Transforming Our Community
One Donation at a Time
We’re turning your donations of goods into community and educational investments. You can donate goods at either of our Chapel Hill or Carrboro locations Monday through Saturday from 9:00am-6:00pm and on Sundays from 12:00pm-6:00 pm. (Please do not leave donations at either location after hours.)
Items always in high demand include furniture, household items, electronics/computers, collectibles, books, clothing, shoes, jewelry and accessories.
For large items, you can schedule your pick up online or call 919-417-0553 to arrange for your items to be picked up. If your call is not answered immediately, please leave a message, and we will return your call within 24 hours.
Items that cannot be sold in the stores include:
- Broken, soiled or otherwise unsellable items
- Mattresses, including crib mattresses, sofa-beds and futons
- Food, cosmetics and toiletries (accepted by the Inter-Faith Council)
- Pesticides and other poisons or containers of any sort of chemical or liquid (dispose of first Saturday at landfill)
- Life jackets or other flotation devices, including air mattresses and inflatable boats
- Any item decorated with the brand name of an alcoholic beverage, tobacco product or promoting violence
- Weapons (real or toy), such as guns, bows and arrows or slingshots
- Obscene items, including items that contain sexual content or foul language
- Baby items that do not meet current safety codes
- Items recalled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, including halogen lamps and some car seats
- Building materials donations (instead please donate to the Habitat Reuse Store)
Unfortunately, we no longer take toys. However, if you have new or gently used stuffed animals that you’d like to donate, please contact SAFE (Stuffed animals for Emergencies) and they can point you in the right direction.
In case of inclement weather, our Carrboro location may not be accepting donations at the rear of the store. Please bring your donations in through the front of the store and our staff will be happy to assist you. Our Chapel Hill location is typically not affected by inclement weather.
As a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization, we are happy to provide you with a receipt for your donation. Please be aware that we cannot give duplicates in the event your original receipt has been misplaced.
We are mindful of the environmental impact a resell organization such as ours has, and we do everything we can to dispose of unsellable items in a responsible way.
We have two Thrift Shop locations in Carrboro and Chapel Hill filled with clothes and household goods for resale. A portion of the profits of each sale goes towards our mission of funding educational and community investments.
“Buying locally sustains the unique character and quality of life of your community. Beyond the economic impact of your spending, buying locally supports the businesses that reinvest in your community’s social and environmental well-being. Orange County businesses give generously to area churches and nonprofits and enhance the social welfare of friends and neighbors.”
“Dollars spent at a local business are reinvested in your community’s employees through wages and reinvested in other organizations through the purchase of legal, accounting and other business services. And by purchasing from local businesses, you (and the goods you purchase) travel fewer miles, saving you time, gas money, and carbon emissions.”
CARRBORO THRIFT SHOP
125 West Main St.
Carrboro, NC 27510
Friday 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM – 4:00 PM
If you’re looking to change the world, we’re looking for employees with big ideas, bright minds and an eagerness to grow professionally and personally.